Monday, February 28, 2011

List #10: Best Picture

Always wanting to be as timely as possible in light of last night's Oscars, here is a list of the Best Picture nominees that I haven't seen,* ranked by how much I actually want to see them.

* This means that "The King's Speech," "Inception," and "Toy Story 3" don't make the list, since I have actually seen those three.  Short review: all are excellent.  King's Speech had the Oscar-bait of being an English period drama and was stunningly well acted.  Inception had the cool sci-fi hook and I *loved* the ending, although the whole seemed somewhat less than the sum of its parts.  Toy Story 3, like almost all Pixar films,** was exceptionally well done but missed a chance when the evil bear stayed evil instead of being more conflicted and when the kid came back for his toys (even if he ended up deciding to let the new kid keep them).  A slightly more conflicted but still real ending would've been better IMHO.


** I've never seen "Cars," and honestly have no intention of ever seeing it.  Given how great everything else they've done has been I should probably give in, but both that one and it's sequel just look terrible.


Also, a brief note: any thoughts on frequency of posts are actively solicited.  Not sure if thrice-a-week is too much or just right or if a regular(ish) schedule is even desirable.  If folks want to see more nonsense from me, I'm happy to accommodate that of course, but if people would be more likely to converse or mock or whatever if this was twice-a-week or once-a-week or whatever, I can certainly go that way too.

Anyway, here's today's list:

(7) The Kids Are All Right.  While Benning and Moore are certainly quality actresses, neither of them have ever really particularly grabbed me, and I'm not a huge fan of family dramas.  Obviously there are some twists here, but nothing that I've heard about this sounds like it's the sort of thing that I would be interested in.

(6) 127 Hours.  I understand that James Franco is awesome in this, and I do like the idea of the big movie star who is simultaneously getting like his 4th and 5th Masters degrees and his PhD at Yale, but frankly I'd really rather not think about whether or not I would have the mental toughness to saw my own arm off in order to survive.  The very idea of hearing the sound effects......ugh.

(5) The Fighter.  I've seen Rocky, and really that's more boxing movies than I ever really needed to see.  Small-time boxers overcoming their hardships and being tempted by drugs and gamblers, only to rise through his toughness.....I dunno, I'm sure that it's well done given all the publicity,* but hasn't this been done to death?  Only beats 127 Hours on my ranking because Christian Bale is consistent fun and because the premise of 127 Hours is far too squirm-inducing.

(4) The Social Network.  We've now hit the ones that I would actually try to see, although this is a "add to the netflix queue" movie for me.  The concept is just a little too precious in part - too many college babes were involved on the promo for me to feel the verisimilitude, and all those programmers were so *excited* all the time.  I may also be influenced by my general bad feelings toward facebook.*  But the story is nevertheless interesting to me - maybe they'll explain how a website that has no noticeable monetization can be worth billions.

* Oh goody, a way for people that I haven't bothered keeping up with since high school to track me down and show me pictures of their pets!  And maybe I can get 10-times-a-day updated on their farmville games!  If not for some actual friends using the damn thing to actually impart information from time to time, I'd have walked away long ago.  As is I can only bring myself to check it once every couple of weeks (thereby missing the good information anyway and defeating the whole point).

(3) Winter's Bone.  Okay, so, in a sense this is another family drama like "The Kids Are All Right," but it's framed in the context of a classic heroic journey set in the badlands.  I can also be a sucker for a good female empowerment motif.

(2) Black Swan.  I'm actively disappointed that I haven't seen this yet.  Total psychological collapse movies always sound like fun to me,* and I would enjoy arguing about what really happened.**  Also, as someone who was introduced to Natalie Portman in the Star Wars prequels, I'm frankly stunned by the idea that she could win an Oscar.  More evidence that Lucas is a historically terrible director of actors, I guess.

* So, those who have seen it, should I see "Fight Club"?


** I've avoided finding out too much about the actual plot and film, but my understanding is that there is an ambiguous resolution.


(1) True Grit.  I'm a fan of the Coen Brothers, the acting is supposed to be spectacular, the plot is time-tested, and the cinematography looks like it would be good enough to make the film worthwhile by itself.  Very much want to see this asap.

14 comments:

  1. My comments:
    1. The Fighter, while it contains fighting, is not *Really* about boxing. I left the movie thinking, "That was not what I thought this was really going to be about."
    2. Black Swan is weird, I would wait for the DVD.
    3. I didn't want to see the Social Network but I really liked it, and Eric and I kept saying to ourselves:
    a. Boy, is that Facebook guy a dick
    b. How did they find the two twin guys who could both act? (We had no idea it was one guy--the editing was that good!)
    4. True Grit was really good, I give Matt Damon a lot of credit and the youngster had a mouth on her like damn!
    5. Eric saw Winter's Bone and didn't like it much. I guess it was really depressing.
    6. My mother made me swear not to see The Kids are Alright, she said it was one of the worst movies she'd ever seen.
    7. I also have no interest in seeing a movie where the plot revolves around a guy cutting his arm off. Sorry.

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched about half of The Social Network, and turned it off. It was filled with supremely unpleasant people and I was bored with them. I wouldn't want to spend any time with them in real life, so why waste any minutes even in movie-viewing with them? Apparently I am in the tiniest minority, as everyone else raves about how awesome it was. I missed seeing any awesome. *shrug* Clearly I'm not upset about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True Grit is the only one of the seven I've seen, and it was quite fun. I was surprised it received a nomination for Best Picture, but only because it didn't seem like the Academy's usual type.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Social Network is the only one I've seen. It's a Sorkin movie. If you like that sort of thing, you'll probably like this. It's actually a pretty accurate valley movie, too, even if it may or may not have the specific details wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frequency is fine by me. Any excuse to argue with you is most welcome, and the current schedule strikes a nice argumentative balance.

    Here;s how the three movie's you've seen line up for me:

    King's Speech -- Haven't seen; interest is marginal, but not nonexistent.

    Inception -- Haven't seen, expect I might like, have no plans to see in order to avoid one of my DiCaprionically induced rage fit and blackout episodes.

    Toy Story 3 -- Saw it, loved it. I can take your point about the failure to redeem Lotso, but was more forgiving of the final sequence. What? I just have something in my eye is all. Shut up.

    As for the rest of the slate:

    7) The Kids Are All Right -- wouldn't turn it off if it were on, and would not run out of the room if the Lovely Wife wanted to watch it, but I don't imagine actively seeking it out.

    (6) 127 Hours -- Interested, but not actively seeking it out.

    (5) The Fighter -- Would actively seek this out, largely for the Bale performance.

    (4) The Social Network -- Interested for the Sorkin script. Indifferent to the story. Agree with your assessment of Facebook; TLW tried to explain it to me once, and I found myself just getting angry and hostile toward the whole thing.

    (3) Winter's Bone -- Would watch, possibly even with intent.

    (2) Black Swan -- No interest

    * So, those who have seen it, should I see "Fight Club"?

    Yeah, little help here? And is this one where reading the book first is recommended? I mean, I fall into the "you almost always should read the book first" camp, but is this one of those exception times?

    (1) True Grit -- I read the book years ago. I've seen the John Wayne version a few times. The Coens blow the original right out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Fight Club but someone should probably go in cold -- the book is spoilery and the movie often deviates. Might help to go into the movie as "the greatest and most over-the-top episode of CSI: Vegas ever," although plenty of right-thinking people do still hate it.

    Inception -- Haven't seen, expect I might like, have no plans to see in order to avoid one of my DiCaprionically induced rage fit and blackout episodes.

    Someone needs to film this for the youtube....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meredith:

    1) That does make it seem somewhat more interesting, as watching boxing holds no appeal whatsoever while watching insane family disfunction can sometimes be fun. It's funny - I don't object to watching crazy violent movies (I enjoyed "Kill Bill, Vol. 1" as one hyper-violent example, but the brutality of boxing is just repulsive to me. Maybe because it's something that actually happens in the world as opposed to stylized ultra-violence or rampaging clone armies or something. Or maybe my subconscious is being hypocritical again.

    2) Yeah, I'm totally happy to wait for Black Swan on DVD. Thinking about it, I may be better able to appreciate the psychodrama horror in the quiet of my own house than in a theater anyway.

    5) Heard that about Winters' Bone, but it still kind of seems like my kind of thing.

    6) Good to hear. Not like I need another excuse not to see it, but the more unlikely it is that I'm actually missing something the better.

    7) The funny thing is that I actually wouldn't so much mind watching a movie about a dude trapped at the bottom of a crevice. But I'm not going to sit through him cutting his arm off. Nope. Even though it's off camera. Not gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kirsten:

    Interesting - I had actually wondered about that. Everything I've head makes Zuckerberg seem like such an anti-social smug ass, and the twins are supposed to be tools, and everybody is a jerk to everybody else....how do you have a movie without a protagonist that the audience cares about? I mean, I love a good anti-hero, but he doesn't even really qualify for that since he's not captivating or engaging or rebellious or anything, just an ass.

    I might well have the same reaction as you, but I'm kind of fascinated to see how they tried to pull it off as a storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
  9. elklad: Really? I thought this was a Best Picture nominee the second I saw the preview - sprawling epic journey of discovery through the Old West, as told by one of our preeminant modern writer/director teams. And it's not like Westerns have been under-represented in the Oscars either. For the Coens, this is almost pandering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. telliott: Love me some Sorkin. I assume that many of the key conversations occur while people are striding purposefully through dorm hallways. I wonder what he would do if he wasn't allowed to use a steady-cam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. B_Mod:

    I highly recommend King's Speech. It sounded kind of lame to me, honestly, but we went with another couple on a whim at their suggestion, and it was excellent. Not the kind of movie that will stick with you through the years or anything, but extremely well acted, well written, and generally quite a bit of fun.

    Inception will now be required viewing in Arizona. I am so excited to see your DiCaprio rage-fit in person, I can hardly speak.

    w/r/t Toy Story 3, I liked it muchly, but the theater was free of dust for my viewing. When I saw "Up," on the other hand, there was all sorts of stuff in the air getting in my eyes, particularly during the opening sequence.

    I also find myself generally irrationally hostile toward the very idea of Facebook. Not entirely sure why given that I tweet and, you know, blog and stuff. But Facebook enrages me on a primal level.

    My understanding is that True Grit is less of a movie remake and more of a second, better, interpretation of the book for the screen. I view it as a failing on my part to have not seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. bombasticus: Wow, that description actually does make me want to see it more.

    Finally saw the "shark let loose in the high-end club pool" episode, by the way. Delightfully silly.

    If you don't show up after walking through the desert on a vision quest, I will try to film B_Mod's rage-inspired psychological collapse for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rage circuits primed and ready to engage.

    Totally agree re: the presence of high concentrations of particulates in the theater where we saw UP; I hear Pixar had a real problem with that.

    True Grit is definitely the book adapted right rather than a property appropriated as a star vehicle, as it was in Wayne's case.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, I dunno if it's just a "different era" thing or what, but the idea of John Wayne, movie star just baffles me. Dude couldn't act for crap - just the same macho nonsense with a barely intelligible drawl for every character.

    I guess macho was more important then?

    ReplyDelete