Friday, March 4, 2011

List #12: Current Songs

Okay, I've run out of topical subjects to riff on.  That was a fun two posts.  I'm sure that one day we will all look back on it and smile.

Here is a substantially more random list of 6 songs that I've been grooving on quite a lot lately, ranked by how likely I am to still really like them in a year.

(6) Derezzed by Daft Punk.  The song and the related scene are by FAR the best thing about Tron : Legacy, and I mean that as more than just damning with faint praise.  I know many people were jazzed about the Daft Punk soundtrack generally, but aside from this awesome (but short) zany loopiness it was a bit too ambient for my taste.  This, though, is right on.  I want to have a dark-light ninja battle to this song.

(5) According to You by Orianthi.  I'm sure it will surprise exactly none of you that I stumbled on this entirely independently of my 9-year-old daughter, and had already downloaded it before I considered whether or not she wanted it on her iTouch.  Of course, now we listen to it in the car ride to school more or less daily.  It's a welcome reprieve from Taylor Swift.*

* Not that I don't like Taylor, too, of course.  But I'm a bit Taylor Swifted out for the next year or so.


(4) Raise Your Glass by P!nk.  P!nk owns the angry club song genre.  I have no excuse here, I know it's crap, but it's so very listenable crap and her voice is good but unusual.  Extremely fun driving music.  Not much to distinguish it from many other P!nk songs, but when it comes on the radio or my iDevice, I do crank it up.*

* But I don't rip off the knob.


(3) Sick of You by Cake.  I appreciate that Cake songs can easily be separated into great songs and uninteresting crap.  This is obviously in the former category (at least for me).  Bonus points for the bunnymen in the video.

(2) Felicia by The Constellations.  As is my way, I didn't actually listen to the lyrics to this one until the song had already wormed its way into my head.  Let's just say that I won't be playing it with the kids around any time soon.  It's not quite so familiy-unfriendly as the best song of 2010, but my apologies to anyone who clicked on the link for this one at the office and had anyone overhear the lyrics.  Crazily catchy tune though.

(1) Hanuman by Rodrigo y Gabriela.  Just frakking incredible.  I would like to be able to do anything as well as these people play guitar.  Daaaaaaaaaamn.

1 comment:

  1. Dang, that Rodrigo y Gabriela song is amazing! off I go to iTunes....

    ReplyDelete